Monday, July 21, 2008

A stroke of insight.


Today was my first day as a swim instructor at the YMCA.

I loved it.

I had to teach swimming to four adults who were barely managing to stay afloat.

I have always loved teaching, but have never got an opportunity due to my limited knowledge in most fields. But perhaps it was in these deep waters that I finally found ground. :)

I think we all are passionate about certain things. And given an opportunity, we’d all love to share our passion with others. And I guess that’s what teaching is all about; sharing your passions. I loved teaching my students today; some of whom were twice my age. But that didn’t really matter. For that one hour, I got a chance to relive my time as a fledging swimmer, making all those mistakes that my students were making today.

I am not sure if I was as good a teacher as my coach who first taught me the joys of the water. But I know that if he is reading this blog, he would have the same words to say to me as back then, “Jump in… It’ll be ok.”

Guess he was right… 


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I’d like to learn swimming from you. Would you teach me, sir?