Monday, September 17, 2007

The (Better) Half Iron Man.

The funny thing is, whenever I met anyone after this event and told them I completed a half iron man, their first reaction was, “why???”.

I would’nt blame them. The 1.5Mile swim, 56 miles bike and the 13 miles run definitely took its toll. Was eleventh out of the water after the swim. Lost count of the number of people who overtook me on the bike. But managed to maintain a consistent average pace of 17.5 miles an hour. Now the run was the hardest. I had injured my knee running in the San Francisco half marathon a couple of weeks earlier. Owing to that, I had almost decided to opt out of this one. But I figured I would walk it down in the worst case. And that is pretty much what I did through half of my run. By the time I finished, my left knee was really sore and I could barely sleep that night.

Here’s a link to the final result http://www.capitalroadrace.com/results/07_BK_AGEGROUP.HTM

It reminded me of the line from Grey’s Anatomy where Meredith says something like, “Sometimes I wonder why we keep hitting ourselves on the head with a hammer. And then I realize it’s because when the hammering stops… it feels real good!”. Touche!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It was sooooo awesome to see you finish the triathlon! You rock!

BTW, I did not think you pay so much attention to scrubs, grey’s anatomy etc