Monday, September 17, 2007

Swim-Bike-Run: My First Triathlon!

Well, not exactly my first. I had run one back when I was in school. But I had not seriously trained for that back then. And had pretty much decided that the bike was not for me after that event.

Thanks to my poor memory, the pain of the triathlon back then was not there to prevent me from signing up for this one. The main cause of my madness in signing up for this one was that completing a triathlon figured in my list things to do before I was 30.

Of course, working at Marvell and on just about everything else, meant I had very little training before the event. the race was a 1.5K swim followed by a 40K bike and finally a 10K run. I was 2nd out of the water. 300th after the bike. And finished 298th after the run, managing to avenge my bike loss to two runners ahead of me.

A great experience and definitely addictive. Met Vikram Asrani, a batchmate from IIT Bombay. Hadn’t met him since IIT days (8 years ago). He said he planned to do the Half Iron Man which is twice this distance. I was impressed at his resolution. Decided I would or rather should do it too.

No comments: