Sunday, January 23, 2011

Have You Grown Up Lately?


When I was interviewing with McKinsey, I got the opportunity to talk to many consultants at the firm. When I would ask them what they aspired to be 5 to 10 years down the line, they would invariably start off with, “what I want to be when I grow up is…” . I found this amusing at first. 30+ year olds saying what they want to be when they grow up? Next thing I know, they’ll be asking me for a lollipop!

But on hindsight, maybe there is something to that statement. What do you do when you grow up? You are expected to be mature. You can’t say foolish things anymore. Grown-ups don’t make mistakes. Grownups are serious…. Grownups never fail! And while we aspire to be this ‘grown-up’ person, the best part is in growING up. You get to try new things. You are allowed to be stupid, to ask questions, to fumble, to fall, to fail… in short, you are allowed to try out a different you.

So, try that new idea you were excited about, jump at the exciting but risky job you always wanted to do, say your seemingly naive opinion at the meeting, fall in love. And never stop growing up!

(Image Courtesy: Megha Shenoy. Location: Googleplex)

No comments: