Monday, January 17, 2011

Little Things


Here's a poem I wrote back in the Fall of 2000. I somehow happened to dig it up in the tons of mail that has accumulated since then. Mom keeps asking me to write more. Whaddya think?

"Little Things"
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

If Life should be a joyous song
with moments that you'd want to sing,
I'd pick not wealth, not joy nor woe,
what'd matter most are those "little things"

Little joys of a 4 year old
snuggling up to his parent's side,
that little blush on the young girl's face
as the groom first meets the bride

Those little wrinkles round the old man's eyes
(They've been there since my life began)
that concealed pride in a mother's heart
watch her son be a man

that little wonder of a new born bird,
on "Why do I have these tiny wings?"
Such are the wonders I live for,
a life of wonderful little things.

Those little fallen Autumn leaves,
That dusty crooked village road
as Sunset makes the the world blush red
as birds fly by a day grown old

That little tear on a young girl's cheek
knowing not to stay or fall
That summer tree where lovers met
unkept vows on old brick walls

That unseen smile on the teachers's lips
watch her class learn to think
Those little flirts in the college hall
those unheard laughs, those unseen winks

Those silent words that old friends say
that old playground, that broken swing,
This is the life I live for,
A life of just.... well, little things!

-Milind

(Image Courtesy: Ankita Sawani. Costa Rica, 2010)

2 comments:

Aditi said...

Nice poem Milind !

The Little Brown Box said...

Love this poem, Milind. I agree with Vidya Vahini. Write....